Thursday, May 14, 2009

You're Parents Are Moving Where??? Part 3

Part 1- I think it was my sophomore year of high school. Dad quits his job with nothing lined up. Mom things he has lost his mind. Eventually hired by a bank in Sylacauga, AL. I only knew about this town b/c we had family living there and you drive through it on the way to Auburn. They didn't end up actually moving there until March of my senior year so I didn't spend too much time there before going off to college. To a "big city" girl from Birmingham, this was a really small town. (I am speaking of myself and my mother!) But they ended up LOVING it!! Mom still goes up there at least once a week to play golf with her girlfriends.

Part 2- Spring of my junior year of college. I get a call from Daddy that went something like this: Dad: "Scooter (me), I quit the bank in Sylacauga and we're moving to Greenville."
Me: "South Carolina???? Cool!"
Dad: "No, Alabama"
Me: "Where in the hell is that????" :) "And does mom know about this???"
Again, to a "big city" girl, this was a REALLY small town!!! As most of you know, Dad's position at the bank in Greenville was eliminated in January. While it was a total shock, I think it was good for him! He has lowered his handicap and realized that he is 100% NOT ready to retire:)

Part 3- May 2009- Mom and dad are continuing their tour of Small Town Alabama!! Dad has accepted a job with MidSouth Bank in Eufaula!! A town that my dad, in all his 63.5 years had never stepped foot in until Tuesday. Where is that, you ask???? It's down Hwy 431 about an hour south of Opelika. I'm very excited for them!!! Eufaula is about the same size as Sylacauga so I think they will enjoy it much more than Greenville (which has a population of about 7,000!). Plus most of the town is on a huge lake!!!! I think he starts May 26th so they've got a lot to do before then. Like find a place to live, move all their crap, etc. They are going back today so he can meet the staff at the bank and the board members. Tomorrow, they are looking at some houses and will explore the town some more.

So here we go again....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey-
Make that 62.85 years please.
Dad

The C's said...

haha, love your dad's comment above. too funny. congrats to him! i have heard wonderful things about eufuala...and small towns are great!!

Susan and Corey said...

Sounds like they are getting closer to be great babysitters- j/k! That will be great they are close to you guys.